Boro 0 York City 2

Brian France was struck with a mixture of injuries and suspensions hitting the defence harder than any other department. Jamie Waltham started a ban alongside Graham Botham; Carl Wood also out due to injury meant changes at the back. Dave Kemp was the only constant in a back three that would be completed by Ryan Davies who started for the first time since October, Kevin Milner gets his second start since joining Boro. The form of Ryan Blott and Richard Medcalf kept Craig Hogg on the bench joined by the returning Gary Hepples and Chris Hyam, asked to fill the defensive spot on the bench.

Scarborough were the quickest out of the blocks hoping to make an early break, some neat passing early on allowed Medcalf to find some space on the edge of the area, but unable to get enough power on his shot to trouble the keeper. Boro kept on the early pressure with Mark Griffin beating full back Mark Robinson to get a cross away, unfortunately the ball got caught in the wind making life hard for Blott to get any power on the header. York were able to steady the ship and contained Boro for long spells, Boro were limited to direct play which given the cross wind was uneventful.

York clearly comfortable in possession were almost caught out with their casual nature, Medcalf robbed Josh Radcliffe and put Scott Phillips through on goal, a 50-50 challenge gave rise to a penalty shout that was instantly waved away. Ryan Morton’s good form continued in the shape of some clever wing play that set him free on the edge of the box, his shot flashed across the face of goal forcing keeper Josh Mimms into an excellent finger tip save.

Dave Bramley kept his side level with the visitors with a great save from a close range volley from Adam Boyes. A tireless Dave Thompson out-muscled City center back Josh Radcliffe to center the ball to Medcalf whose shot was blocked, a prowling Liam Widdowson couldn't keep his shot on target. At half time Boro had the best of the play and deserved to have the lead, however fitness could be a factor in the second half.

Boro were on the receiving end of positive play from the kick off, Boyes penetrated the home back line whilst Davies could only chase, the York striker shooting inches wide. Jimmy Beadle who was having an entertaining contest with his former team mate Ryan Blott but was clearly here to compete, his tough tackle on Blott earned him the first caution of the game.

The visitors were gifted a penalty after 63 minutes, Thompson and then Widdowson were dispossessed in a dangerous place leaving Kemp chasing back resulting in a undisputable penalty as Sam Duncum was taken down. Mark Robinson stepped up and sent Bramley the wrong way to take the lead.

Scarborough’s resistance was spearheaded by the energetic Thompson, after winning the ball in the middle of the park was able to drive into the penalty area only to have his penalty shout turned down. Positive action was taken from the bench, midfielder Widdowson was replaced by Craig Hogg in hopes of leveling the score. Any chances of getting back into the game were snuffed out as the lead was doubled with some more soft defending.

Tricky winger Liam Shepherd crossed the ball to Boyes who had his first shot saved by a sliding Milner; Bramley now stranded on the floor was in no position to stop Boyes’ second effort. Brian France had to add another to his injury list with Ryan Blott limping off with a groin injury to be replaced by Hepples. The two substitutes combined just before time, Hepples long throw found Hogg whose shot flew over the bar, unable to make an interesting final few minutes.

Dave Thompson again stood out with an impressive performance that saw him cover more ground than any on the night. Boro perhaps could be a little disappointed not to take more from the game after dominating for long spells, not creating enough chances from promising positions. Scarborough couldn’t keep up maximum intensity in a game where perhaps a gap in fitness made the difference on the night. Eyes return back to league this coming Saturday against 4th placed Bottesford, surely promotion last chance saloon.

Result: Boro 0 York City 2

Boro Line-up: Bramley, Davies, Milner, Kemp, Widdowson (c) (Hogg 71), Thompson, Griffin, Phillips, Blott (Hepples 83), Medcalf, Morton Unused Sub: Hyam

York Line-up: Mimms, Beadle, Robinson, Spence (Knowlson 80), Kelly ©, Radcliffe, Duncum, Johnson, Boyes, McWilliams, Shepherd (Stimpson 64) Unused Subs: Woodall, Parker, McDonald Goals: Robinson 63, Boyes 87 Cards: Yellow – Beadle, Shepherd

Attendance: 505


« Back to news

Latest Tweets

RT @SAFC_TV: HIGHLIGHTS 🎥⚽️ Yesterday's season opener between @safc & @Buxton_FC!

RT @FCUnitedMcr: If you're coming to the game next Saturday vs @safc then our Match Day Dining package offers you a delicious, freshly cook…