Boro hang tough for Trafford win

By Will Baines

Scarborough Athletic were made to sweat as they hung on for a 2-1 win away at Trafford.

It all looked to be going to plan on the hour mark for Steve Kittrick’s side, as a James Walshaw header and a Trafford own goal early in the second half gave Boro a comfortable 2-0 lead.

However the home side were not going to go down easily and after Declan Ryding’s had nicked a goal back, Boro went down to ten men with Jimmy Beadle shown a straight red card and the visitors were forced to hang on in the closing stages to grind out the win.

Preparations for the game didn’t run smoothly with midfielder Tom White pulling up in the warm up, allowing James Cadman to come back in and Jamie Price added to the Boro bench.

With steady rain falling throughout the morning, the grass pitch at Shawe View had held up well as the two teams emerged from the dressing rooms.

It was Boro who hit the ground running and thought they had taken the lead in just the second minute when Walshaw forced in from close range from a Coulson ball swung in from the left, but the referee chalked off the goal for a push by the frontman.

Walshaw was leading the Boro charge and he had the next opportunity by carrying the ball up to the edge of the area and slamming in a low shot that Shenton gathered at the second attempt after parrying the initial effort on the sticky surface.

On 20 minutes Max Wright stretched his legs with a rampaging run from deep down the right, getting to the byline to drill a low ball across that the waiting Walshaw touched wide running in at the near post.

The visitors were having the better of a tight game as a ball into the Trafford area led to a scramble, with a Hewitt prod goalwards getting hacked away only as far as Walshaw to rifle into the side netting from a narrow angle.

The strength of Aaron Burns and the pace of Dominic McHale were well marshalled by Bailey Gooda and Sam Hewitt, but there were occasions when they wriggled clear. On the half hour mark Johnson was shoved to the ground in trying to clear, the ball played into the feet of McHale to wriggle past a couple of defenders before striking it low but fortunately just wide of the target.

With half-time approaching, it was the dangerous Walshaw who struck a decisive blow to give Boro the lead.

Coulson lobbed in a corner from the right that Walshaw climbed above everyone to power a header into the Trafford goal at the back post.

The second half began with Steve Kittrick’s side keen to extend their advantage and it arrived from an unlikely source early in the second half.

Coulson laid the ball off to Walshaw wide on the left, with the striker fizzing a low ball across the Trafford six yard box that bobbled through to Lee Neville, with the right-back inexplicably touching into his own net under no pressure!

The second goal was a gift for the Seadogs and should have enabled them to see the game out.

Keen to make his mark, Coulson darted inside to fire just wide of goal. This was quickly followed by Max Wright taking in round Grant Shenton, only to see his shot blocked and Walshaw unable to find the back of the net through a crowd of bodies as the ball fell to him eight yards out.

The second goal seemed to spark Trafford into life, with the dangerous Burns breaking clear of the Boro defence to go through on goal, only to see his side footed strike hit the foot of the post and bounce clear.

The home side were certainly starting to ramp up the pressure and it paid off on 66 minutes as Declan Rydings timed his run into the box to perfection, arriving late in the box to flick beyond the dive of Tommy Taylor after good work by Laurence Taylor to power down the right.

This put Boro on the back foot and they nearly conceded again just minutes later as Steve Mason headed inches wide at the back post from an inviting corner.

The home side were helped in their cause when substitute Jimmy Beadle was sent off just minutes after coming on after lunging in on right-back Rydings.

This gave Trafford a one man advantage and to try and grab a late equaliser they brought on the lofty figure of attacker Mark Derbyshire.

Tom Baker’s side were camped in the Boro half for with plenty of long balls thrown into the penalty area. The closest the home side came was through the lively McHale, as the striker turned in the box but could only scuff wide of goal.

The final whistle was greeted with sighs of relief among the 150 travelling Scarborough fans to claim a seventh successive win in the Evo-Stik North.

It was a close run thing but Steve Kittrick’s side weathered the storm to claim what could be a vital three points come the end of the season.

Boro: Taylor, Johnson, Merris, Valentine, Hewitt, Gooda, Cadman, Dean, Coulson, Walshaw, Wright

Subs: Price, Beadle, Curtis, Sugden, Snowden

Goals: Walshaw (41'), Neville OG (48'), Rydings (66')

Attendance: 383


Goals from SAFC TV


« Back to news

Latest Tweets

RT @evostikleague: Onto the League Tables, #EvoStikLeague Premier @FarsleyCelticFC stay top with 11 goals seperating them and @theyellows,…

RT @SN_Sport: Match report from @safc’s 1-1 draw at @TheDabbers #safclive