Boro see off Ossett to progress in Integro League Cup

Scarborough Athletic advanced through to the next round of the Integro League Cup with a 2-1 win over Ossett Town at a chilly Flamingo Land Stadium.

After Sam Hewitt's opener was cancelled out by the returning Emile Sinclair, Jimmy Beadle drilled in the winner for Boro midway through the second half on front of a crowd of 441.

Scarborough froze in the opening stages as the temperature dropped close to freezing, but they warmed up as the game went on to see the tie out and progress through to the last 16.

Max Wright was the main outlet for the home side drifting down the wing and cutting inside to keep the visitors defence guessing.

It was through Wright that Boro fashioned out the first chance, with the winger whipping a delightful ball in that James Walshaw fluffed from 8 yards.

Ossett were trying to heat up the contest with a series of crunching tackles, with early bookings for former Seadog Steve Ridley andf Sam Wright. It was Wright's tackle on his namesake that gave Boro a chance to swing the ball in from the right through Merris, with the Boro skipper sending a low drive into the danger area at the back post for Sam Hewitt to crash in off the underside of the bar, giving debutant keeper Edward Hall no chance.

Boro were in the ascendancy but their progress was checked right on the stroke of half-time by an Ossett equaliser. A long punt forward found striker Emile Sinclair midway inside the Boro half. The former Nottingham Forest striker was allowed to glide up to the edge of the area, cutting back inside before curling into the top corner beyond Tommy Taylor and Sam Hewitt on the line.

There was a further setback for Steve Kittrick's side with James Walshaw getting bashed in the ribs and looking in some pain as the two sides retreated to the dressing room.

To go in level at 1-1 was harsh on the home side, but they need to respond and move things up a gear.

Walshaw was brought off early into the second half, with Billy Logan getting an opportunity much like the match-winning contribution he made in the league game at Ingfield back in August.

Logan was straight into the mix, firing in a low shot that Ossett's on-loan keeper Hall blocked well.

Boro were guilty of giving the returning Sinclair too much respect, and he wasn't about to return the favour and nearly gave Ossett the lead as he ghosted inside to drill in a shot that Taylor blocked, witht the rebound falling to the pacy Danny South to curve round a couple of defenders and into space, only to see his effort stopped on the line by the covering Stimpson.

This prompted the Boro management to go more attacking and bring on Jimmy Beadle, and within 5 minutes of his introduction the hometown lad had made an instant impact.

Again Merris was the provider, sending in a cross from deep that Beadle brought down with his first touch then slammed decisively into the corner with his second to give Boro the lead and some breathing space.

Sinclair continued to cause problems and had the chance to level up in the closing stages. The striker beat the offside trap, but then a rush of blood led to him lifting over the crossbar and into the Shed from five yards.

Boro saw out the final minutes to reach the last-16 and get the winning feeling back after a blip in recent weeks.

More photos can be seen on the Scarborough Athletic FC Facebook page

Sam Hewitt celebrates opening the scoring in the 2-1 win over Ossett Town


« Back to news

Latest Tweets

RT @SAFC_TV: ⚽️🎥 HIGHLIGHTS of @safc's last game at home to @hydeunited.

RT @SN_Sport: Another big week for @safc youngster @matty_bowman2 as he trains with @LCFC.