Boro march past Brig

Scarborough Athletic kept in the play-off mix with a 3-0 win over Bamber Bridge. Boro did not have it all their own way but they weathered the first-half pressure to power past the home side in the final quarter. The victory moved Athletic up to sixth in the league table and raised hopes of a late jump into the play-off places.

James Cadman missed out through an injury picked up against Burscough, with Steve Kittrick bringing in Craig Nelthorpe.

It was a confident start by the visitors with some fluent passing resulting in a Dave Merris cross being bundled behind by Bamber Bridge keeper Lloyd Rigby. It was a quick start in front of a large travelling support and soon the pressure paid off as Boro took the lead. Jacob Hazel intercepted an attempted clearance and raced clear down the left before flicking into the path of Benny Igiehon to hit a first time effort that took a deflection to spiral over Rigby and bounce into the net.

It was just the start that the visitors wanted to settle any nerves, but Bamber hit back and enjoyed a long period of sustained possession to put Boro on the back foot. Stuart Vasey stung the palms of Joe Green in the Scarborough goal with a long range effort before Kitt Gregory was denied by Green as he got down low to turn an angled shot behind. Bamber continued to press and Chris Marlow nipped in at the near post to flick just wide of the target as Boro held firm until the break.

In the second half playing with the wind behind them Boro started to take control. Rigby denied Hazel from point blank range, pushing away a firm header that looked certain to go in. 

There were shouts for an Athletic penalty when Hazel was felled as he surged into the box, with referee Dale Baines adjudging the foul took place just outside the area. At the other end Green was forced to backpedal and turn the ball behind from a header at the back post.

With twenty minutes to go Steve Kittrick brought on Jameel Ible for Craig Nelthorpe, and the substitute did not take long to make an impact. 

Adam Bolder gathered the ball over on the left and his drilled cross was nodded on by a Brig defender for Ible to ghost in and nod a looping header over Rigby to add a crucial second goal.

Boro had their tails up and with six minutes to go it got even better. A corner in from the right was flicked goalwards by Benny Igiehon and sneaked through a crowd of players and into the bottom corner for the Boro striker to notch his second of the game. 

There was still time for the home side to fashion out a late chance, as Joe Green was beaten to a free-kick into the middle, allowing Matt Lawlor to crack a shot towards goal, only for Matty Turnbull to throw himself in front of the effort and force it away and preserve a sixth successive clean sheet.

Cameron Murray nearly added a fourth late on, capitalising on an interception to skip past two home defender before drilling a low effort just wide of the target. 

The final whistle marked the end of another confident display from Boro that sets things up for a mouthwatering clash with Tadcaster Albion on Easter Monday. 

Boro: Green, Flint, Merris (c), Price, Roma, Turnbull, Nelthorpe, Bolder, Igiehon, Hazel, Murray

Subs: Ible (68 for Nelthorpe), Logan (85 for A. Bolder), Humble, Lucid, Porter

SAFC TV Highlights

« Back to news

Latest Tweets

Tonight, from 7:30pm, meet the team, Q&A with SK and the players and, of course, the launch of the new kit!…

Remember, we have the 2018/19 Fundraising Kit Launch Event happening tonight: 📍 Scarborough Market Hall 🕢 Open 7pm…